Friday, November 2, 2007

Life in Zimbabwe

Curious about life in Zimbabwe? Here are some statistics reflecting the harsh realities of daily life:

*3500 people die each week of AIDS related illness

*25% of the children are orphans

*34 = life expectancy for women (lowest in the world) WHO

*37 = life expectancy for men (lowest in the world) WHO

*4.1 million Zimbabweans will not have sufficient food between Dec 07- March 08

*Highest inflation in the world. Official rate is over 100,000%. Independent analysts suggest that it might be closer to 250,000%

*>80% unemployment rate

*Faster declining economy that any nation at war (World Bank)

*Example of Inflation: Price of bread

January 2007 = 1600 Zim dollars

November 2007 = 400,000-600,000 Zim dollars


Thank you to Rachel Tucker for researching and providing these statistics.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the facts about Zim. I just returned from Zimbabwe and, what can I say, God has Blessed me in so many ways!

His Creations Photography said...

Vic, Thanks for offering your perspective. How long where you in Zim and could you share a bit of your perspective? I see you're in Ontario also! Hope 2008 brings you many more blessings. :) Julie

Unknown said...

I was in Zim for the month of June, July, Aug and Sep. My experience was great and difficult at the same time. The people were so loving and grateful as you stated also. The financial situation was difficult for the people that I work with. Most of people that I worked with made about $4.00 USD a month and had to feed a family with that. I really learned, “we humans are resourceful”. Where I lived we had very few days of water, no electricity, no bread, or meat. On my return I stopped in Ireland and then back home to Ontario and almost cried of the abundance in our super markets. We are so blessed.
I had taken small gifts to the students that I was working with to pass O levels tests. I was told not to give them the gifts all at once, but over time I should do it. Well, I did just that. One day I had given the young adults a pencil each and a girl started to cry. I asked, what was wrong? The sister told me that the girl had never owned her own pencil. I was shocked! I latter told my students here in the States. They too could not believe it. I can’t express how much I received. I do believe that it is in giving we receive.

On my return home I had lost weight has had a multitude of experiences and was left transformed! Someone asked me why I had to go to Zimbabwe for a transformation? I said I’m not sure, I had worked here in my local area and in Los Angeles for many year with the poor and not been moved to see God’s love like this. All I can say is that God’s ways are not my ways.

May 2008 also bring you and yours many blessings!

His Creations Photography said...

Vic, would you mind if we shared your testimony on the front page? I think it would impact many people.

Unknown said...

Sure, If it would help. I'm all for that. God bless. Victor

His Creations Photography said...

Thanks Vic! It's now available for everyone to read :)